The Top 17 DIY SEO Software Every Small Business Needs To Get Ranked Higher
SEO is one of the most important aspects of online business today.
I would argue that it is THE most crucial element of making money online today.
If your website isn’t ranking on search pages, your customers can’t find you, and you can’t get their business.
You have two options for SEO: pay an agency to do it for you or use SEO tools to do it yourself.
If you want to make money online, even if you’re a beginner, you need to get SEO tools for your business.
SEO tools can help automate the actions you need to take to get your website or web pages to the top of Google pages.
You need SEO software tools that allow your business to compete with larger companies for top rankings on search pages.
Doing your own SEO with free DIY SEO tools (like Google Search Console) or a paid SEO tool is essential for a solid SEO strategy. SEO experts and beginners use SEO tools to better their SEO strategy.
Our Top 3 Recommendations For DIY SEO Tools
Here are our top three recommendations for DIY SEO tools that will immediately help your small business start climbing the search rankings.
Best for Beginners
What Is DIY SEO Software?
Do-it-yourself (DIY) search engine optimization (SEO) software helps businesses rank better on search engines (and therefore increase sales) without the need to hire expensive ad or marketing agencies.
DIY SEO tools are excellent for businesses looking to move up on search engine results pages (SERPs) and be found more easily, for much less than the cost of hiring a full-time marketing specialist or delegating it to an agency.
Now let’s get into the reviews of the top seven DIY SEO tools that every business should have to rank themselves higher on SERPs.
The Top 17 Do-It-Yourself Search Engine Optimization Software Your Small Business Needs
DIY SEO tools are an almost essential investment for businesses today. SEO tools will help you do keyword research to target keywords (a common search term) and related keywords, show you keyword difficulty, and keyword phrases that will increase your ranking factor and get you more traffic. They will also help you avoid keyword stuffing
Some SEO tools are totally free, but most are paid tools, but most will allow your website to move up a few spots when people do a Google search for your business.
Once you get good at SEO for your own page, you can start to do guest posts to get more inbound links and increase your organic traffic and search volume.
Ahrefs is one of the most popular and effective DIY SEO tools that helps small businesses rank better on search engines. It has various features that help businesses track their website’s ranking, competitors, and backlinks. Ahrefs is also constantly updated with the latest changes to Google’s search algorithm, so businesses can be sure they are always using the most up-to-date tools.
Ahrefs is an amazing tool for small businesses looking to improve their SEO ranking and visibility. It has a wide variety of features at an affordable price and is constantly updated with the latest information on SEO best practices.
- Audit & optimize your website
- Analyze your competitors
- It tells you if you have broken links
- Find keywords your customers are searching for
- Learn from your industry’s top-performing content
- Track your ranking progress
- Free learning materials
- Excellent support
- Webmaster Tools
- Backlink Checker
- Broken Link Checker
- Website Authority Checker
- Keyword Generator
- YouTube, Amazon, and Bing Keyword Tool
- SERP Checker
- SEO Toolbar
- WordPress Plugin
- Keyword Rank Checker
- Keyword Difficulty Checker
- Website Checker
- Extra tools & features
- Domain Authority Comparison
- Batch Analysis
- Link Intersect
- Content Gap
- Email Alerts
- SEO Checker
- Word Count
- Traffic Checker
- GDS Connectors
- The Lite package starts at $99 and is good for essential data for small businesses and hobby projects.
- The Standard package starts at $199 and is perfect for SEO professionals and in-house marketers.
- The Advanced package starts at $399 and offers indispensable tools and more data allowance as your business scales.
- The Enterprise package starts at $999 and is ideal for big agencies and enterprises.
SEMRush is one of the more fantastic DIY SEO tools that is revered by small businesses and bloggers alike. It offers amazing SEO services but is also great for social media, PR, paid ad strategies, and content optimization.
- Keyword research
- On-page SEO analysis
- Link building
- Competitor analysis/competitor SEO analysis
- Amazon Business tools
- Content marketing
- Local SEO
- Rank tracking
- Social media management
- Content optimization and marketing analytics
- PPC/Paid advertising/Website monetization
- It has a free version where you can get limited searches and access to less data
- Free trial for seven days for both paid plans
- The Pro Plan is $119.95 monthly and is for newbies or small teams (50+ tools including five projects, 500 keywords to track. and 10,000 results per report)
- The Guru Plan is $229.95 monthly and is for small businesses and agencies (15 projects, 1,500 keywords to track, and 30,000 results per report)
- They also have a Business Plan that is $449.95 monthly
- A custom plan is available
- If you pay annually, you save 17%
Moz Pro is an easy-to-use DIY SEO tool that any size business can use to boost organic traffic by analyzing and fixing your SEO. This is one of the best DIY SEO tools and is great for beginners who want to get a good overview of how SEO can affect your website’s ranking.
- Good at visualizing your data
- Search engine results page (SERP) analysis
- On-page grader that lets you know how well your page will rank
- Efficiently tracks your ranking efficiently
- Keyword research and analysis
- On-page search engine optimization
- Links and competitors comparison
- They offer four pricing tiers; you save 20% when you pay yearly, and the Medium plan has a free trial.
- Standard, which is $99/mo ($79/mo when you pay yearly), is good if you’re new to SEO or just need the basics. This plan is a great way to get started.
- The most popular plan is Medium, which is $179/mo ($143 /mo when you pay yearly), and it has ample limits plus full access to keyword research tools. Most folks start here.
- They have a Large Plan, which is $299/mo ($239 /mo when you pay yearly) and is the ideal plan (and best value) for businesses and agencies that are serious about SEO.
- The Premium Plan is $599/mo ($479 /mo when you pay yearly) and is the most popular for large SEO-focused agencies and in-house marketing teams.
Screaming Frog is the parent company of the SEO Spider Tool, which is very popular that has a free version that does technical SEO audits. However, if you want to go deeper into your website’s analytics, you’ll need to opt-in for the paid version, which gives you unlimited crawling, other SEO tools integration, and much more.
- Crawls your full site and any lists you give it
- Analyzes internal linking to find broken pages and links
- Identifies missing and duplicate titles and meta descriptions
- Finds images with missing alt text so you can add it in
- Crawl path reporting
- Plug into APIs
- Audit redirects
- Custom configurations and extractions
- There is a free version that offers to Find Broken Links, Errors & Redirects, Analyze Page Titles & Meta Data, Review Meta Robots & Directives, Audit Attributes, Discover Exact Duplicate Pages, Generates XML Sitemaps, and Site Visualizations
- The paid version has many more features and is $209 per year with unlimited crawls
- You can also buy multiple licenses for additional fees
Hike‘s DIY SEO tool enables anyone to optimize any website, whether it’s their own or one of their clients. The software provides prioritized, step-by-step recommendations to help users climb Google. If users aren’t sure they’ll have the time to complete all their SEO tasks, they can sign up for Hike’s Software + Support plan, and the company will do the SEO for them.
- It Helps You Find the Right Keywords
- Discover Content Topics
- Analyze Your Competition
- Improve Your Content
- Helps You Plan a Local SEO Strategy
- Easy-To-Follow Actions
- SEO academy to improve your SEO strategy
- On-page SEO suggestions
- Technical SEO Improvements
- AI-Powered SEO Content Creation
- Discover PR Backlink Opportunities
- Competitor Backlink Analysis
- Improve Pagespeed
- Report Builder
- Keyword Rankings
- Google Analytics & Search Console
- Google My Business
- Custom Branding
- SEO Audit Tool
- SEO Academy
- User Management
The “Just Software” package is $59.99 monthly and gives you
- Monthly, step-by-step SEO actions (with how-to guides) to improve your website’s SEO
- Keyword research tools to discover the phrases your customers are searching for (and competitors are using!)
- Ongoing keyword tracking for 75 keywords across Google search and Google Maps
- Frequent website audits to analyze your technical SEO and recommended fixes
- Backlink tools to track and build new backlinks to your website
- Google Business Profile toolset to improve your Google Map rankings
- AI-powered content creation via our Content Wizard
- Monthly SEO reports & our drag-and-drop report builder
- Full access to the Hike SEO Academy to upskill you and your team
- Unlimited live chat support from our SEO team
Then they have the “Software + Support” plan, which is $189.99 monthly and is made for small businesses who want an extra helping hand from an SEO expert every month. You get everything in the software package plus
- 2 hours of time from our SEO team every month and a dedicated account manager
Check out our full review of Hike SEO software here.
BuzzSumo is an easy-to-use tool that offers an excellent visual overview of your website and its SEO progress. BuzzSumo lets you quickly see which of your keywords are ranking and which are not doing as well, meaning you can make the necessary changes to get back on track. BuzzSumo is also great at social media and influencer insights, so if your company relies heavily on social media, you might want to check this DIY SEO tool out.
- Track your competitor’s website performance
- Look back on up to one year of data
- Find trending and interesting content
- Export data for other uses
- Easily find shared content across social networks
- Quickly search for and find influencers for any topic
- Offers keyword mention alerts
- The Free plan gives you ten free searches a month, some free DIY SEO tools, and limited access to other features
- The Pro Plan is for freelancers or small businesses on a budget is $99 monthly and gives you unlimited monthly searches, five users, five alerts, and 50 exports per month
- The Plus Plan (most popular) is for agencies and growing businesses and is $179 monthly and offers unlimited monthly searches, ten users, ten alerts, and 150 exports per month
- The Large Plan is $249 monthly and is for agencies and marketing teams, and offers unlimited monthly searches, 15 users, 30 alerts, and 200 exports per month
- You can get 20% off if you pay monthly
Google has a whole suite of features you can use, and if you have been in the SEO industry at all, you’ve probably heard of Google Analytics. It is a great tool if you are starting out or need a cost-effective way to get a ton of useful information about your and your competitor’s sites.
You only need a free Google Analytics account to get started. With this free tool, you can start finding your average monthly searches, organic search traffic, top-ranking pages, relevant keywords, broken links, see your search volume, and internal links.
Google Analytics, paired with Google Search Console, is one of the most effective combinations of free tools you can make for a solid SEO strategy. These two SEO software tools will help your keyword rankings and are two of the better free keyword research tools. They can even be used with other websites or tools to make a better DIY SEO strategy.
- Identify your customer’s demographics
- See your new and returning visitors
- Custom alerts and annotations can be added
- Automate reporting and calculated metrics
- Measure traffic by device type
- It pairs perfectly with Google Search Console
- See site speed by page
- Setup conversions and goals
- Create conversion funnels
- Gives real-time reporting
- Campaign tracking capabilities
The best part about this DIY software is its cost: free. This free tool has been helping businesses with their SEO for years and has many of the features of paid tools.
Mangools is a DIY SEO software that offers a suite of tools to help you with your SEO efforts. The interface is easy to use, and the features are powerful, making it a great choice for beginner bloggers. You’ll get all the necessary features in one package, including a keyword research tool, a backlink analysis tool, and SERP tracking. Plus, the support team is knowledgeable about SEO and can help you with any questions or problems you have.
- Link building
- Keyword research
- SERP rank tracking
- SERP checker
- Link miner
- Browser Extension
- Basic: $29.90 monthly billed annually
- Premium: $49.90 monthly billed annually
- Agency: $89.90 monthly billed annually
- You’ll pay about 35% more if you choose monthly payment plans
- They also have a free 10-day trial
If you’re looking for a powerful SEO tool that can help you rank higher in search engine results and get more website traffic, SurferSEO is the perfect solution. It provides accurate, actionable data that helps you improve your SEO campaigns and get better results.
With SurferSEO, you can track your rankings, find new keywords, and measure the performance of your SEO tasks. It’s the perfect tool for any marketer who wants to improve their optimization strategy and get better results.
- Get extensive SERP and competitor on-page insights
- Content Structure suggestions
- NLP suggested keywords
- Competitor Analysis
- Live Content Score
- WordPress and Semrush Integrations
- SEO Audit Reports
- Keyword Research
- Content Planner
- Writes Meta Descriptions for you
- SERP Analyzer
- Google Search Console Integration
- Surfer has a free plan you can use to try it out
- The Basic plan starts at $49 monthly
- The Pro plan starts at $99 monthly
- The Business plan starts at $199 monthly
- Paying annually saves you 17%
Frase AI is a DIY SEO software offering various features to help you improve your website’s SEO. It offers a keyword research tool to find relevant search terms based on your content topic and a competitor analysis tool to see how your competition is performing in terms of SEO. The content scoring tool offered by Frase can help you write SEO-friendly content according to the requirements of the keywords.
- Question research
- AI-Generated content briefs
- Answer engine
- Content optimization
- Free generator tools
- Blog title generator
- Slogan generator
- Summary or introduction generator
- Meta description or product description generator
- Content scoring
- Custom templates
- The Solo plan starts at $14.99 monthly
- The Basic plan starts at $44.99 monthly
- The Team plan starts at $114.99 monthly
- Get a 5-day trial for $1 to try it out
Google Keyword Planner
Google Keyword Planner is an essential piece of DIY SEO software. It allows you to research keywords, see how many people are searching for them, and estimate how much traffic you could get from them. This information can help you determine which keywords to target in your SEO efforts.
Keyword research is a critical part of SEO, and Google Keyword Planner is one of the best free tools available for doing it. It can help you find the right keywords to target to focus your efforts on those that will benefit your website the most.
- Easily add and track keywords
- See monthly search volume and competition
- Get cost estimates for advertising on specific keywords
- View keyword groupings and related terms
- Create new campaigns with ease
Free! You’ll have to create a Gmail email account, which is also free.
LowFruits is a tool that helps you quickly and easily analyze SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages). Just enter a URL into the search bar, and LowFruits will give you an overview of that page’s most important ranking factors.
You can also use LowFruits to compare multiple pages side-by-side, so you can easily see which performs better.
To use LowFruits, enter a URL into the search bar and click “Analyze.” LowFruits will then give you an overview of that page’s most important ranking factors. LowFruits also shows you the number of backlinks for a given page, so you can quickly see how strong that page is.
If you’re serious about improving your website’s SEO, Lowfruits is a great tool to consider. With its variety of features and easy installation, Lowfruits can greatly improve your website.
- Keyword clustering
- Detect website type
- Count words in a document
- Understand competition
- Generate keyword ideas
- Analyze SERPs quickly
- There are four pricing options depending on how much you need to do, and then you continue paying as needed.
SERanking is a comprehensive SEO tool that can help you track your website’s search engine rankings, analyze your competition, find high-quality linking opportunities, get detailed reports on your SEO progress, and more. It’s one of the most popular SEO tools on the market, and it’s easy to see why.
SERanking is an all-in-one SEO software that can help you improve your website’s speed and performance and its overall ranking in search engines. It’s easy to use and provides a wealth of data for you to analyze to make the most of your SEO efforts.
- Backlink Checker
- Backlink Monitoring
- Snippets Tool
- SERP Competitors Tool
- Visibility Rating Tool
- Competitor Research Tool
- You get discounts the longer you subscribe to SERanking
- The Essential plan starts at $39
- The Pro plan starts at $89
- The Business plan starts at $189
AlsoAsked is a DIY SEO software that helps you find the most popular questions that people are asking about your topic. It’s a great tool for understanding what people are looking for when they search for your topic and how you can better answer their questions.
You can use the information from AlsoAsked to improve your content and make it more relevant to what people are searching for.
- Export results in bulk
- Monthly free searches
- People Also Ask (PAA) questions
- Search Intent Monitoring
- Google Search Results in Real Time
- The Basic plan is $15 monthly
- The Lite plan is $29 monthly
- The Pro plan is $59 monthly
Ubersuggest is a DIY SEO software that Neil Patel, a well-known online marketing expert, created. The software allows users to find keyword ideas and track their website’s rankings. Ubersuggest also provides insights into how many organic keywords a website ranks for.
The free version of Ubersuggest is the favorite SEO tool of SEO experts, but a paid version offers more features and data. Ubersuggest is a valuable tool for any business that wants to improve its organic search visibility.
- Keyword Tracking
- Link Management
- SEO Management
- Backlink Monitoring
- Competitive Analysis
- Keyword Rank Tracking
- Keyword Research Tools
- Individual: $29 monthly
- Business: $49 monthly
- Enterprise/Agency: $99 monthly
- They advertise being 70% cheaper than other DIY SEO tools and 90% cheaper if you pay for a lifetime membership
WooRank is a comprehensive digital marketing tool that helps website owners and marketers improve the health and performance of their websites. The tool offers many features, including website analysis, keyword research, competitor analysis, and more. WooRank also has a handy WordPress plugin that makes it easy to start with the tool.
To get started with WooRank, sign up for a free account and enter your website URL. Once you’re logged in, you’ll be able to run a full website analysis and see how your site stacks up against the competition. WooRank also offers a variety of other features, including keyword research, competitor analysis, and more.
- White-Label Report
- SEO Tool
- Website review
- Backlinks analysis
- Continuous tracking
- Marketing Plan
- Smart Dashboard
- Competitive Analysis
- Pro: $79.99 monthly
- Premium: $199.99 monthly
- Enterprise: Contact WooRank for pricing
- If you pay yearly, you get four months of free
SpyFu is a website that provides detailed SEO analysis on the keywords that your competitors are using to rank their websites. You can use this information to boost your website’s ranking in search engines by targeting the same keywords.
In addition to keyword information, SpyFu also provides data on your competitor’s ad spending, allowing you to see how much they are willing to spend to be visible for certain keywords. This Google AdWords information can help you adjust your ad budget accordingly.
Overall, SpyFu is a valuable tool for any business that wants to improve its website ranking and visibility. Understanding your competitors’ strategies allows you to adapt and improve your marketing efforts.
- Social outreach for backlinks
- SERP analysis
- Comprehensive keyword data
- PPC competitor research
- Google Ads spending data
- Website ranking information
- Unlimited access to all data with each plan
- Basic: $33 a month (paid annually) or $39 monthly
- Professional: $58 a month (paid annually) or $79 monthly
- Team: $199 a month (annually) or $299 monthly
What Is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization. It is the technique individuals and businesses use to insert specific words or phrases into their websites so they can rank higher on SERPs. A search engine such as Google, Bing, or Yahoo will read (or crawl) a website and all its pages and categorize all the words within it.
Keywords Are Key
When someone inputs words in the Google search bar, for example, the search engine will generate results based on what it has crawled and documented. Therefore, if you optimize your website with certain words that people are searching for and that relate to your business, your website will rank higher, get seen by more people, increase your website visitors, and give you more business.
Don’t Forget Alt Text
SEO is also needed in your alt text for pictures and in the meta description for your website and all its pages. You’ll also need to use those keywords in your meta tags so that Google and other search engines (and other tools) can properly catalogue your web pages and increase your site’s domain authority.
How Can a DIY SEO Tool Help Me With My Business?
DIY SEO software can help small businesses looking to improve and grow their online presence. DIY SEO tools will crawl your website, search for problems, recommend where you need to improve, and offer clear, easy-to-follow solutions to help your website rank higher on search engines.
SEO tools will also monitor your performance, telling you if you have gone up or down in SERP rankings, and keep you updated on your website’s performance.
You can see what your competitor’s websites are doing, how many backlinks they have, and generate keyword ideas, a target keyword, and search terms.
Here’s What DIY SEO Software Can Help You Do
When you pick one or more of the above SEO tools to do keyword research and improve the SEO strategy for your business, you can now
- Choose the proper keywords
- Optimize your pages for higher rankings
- Use your own SEO tool and SEO strategy to save money by not having to hire SEO experts
- Keep track of your search engine rankings
- Increase your page speed
- Get more linking domains
- Gain more internal links
- Increase your domain authority
- Perform regular SEO audits
- Get top-ranking pages
- Shows keyword difficulty
- See what your competitors are doing and revise your strategy accordingly
- Get your site optimized for local searches
- Find an essential target keyword
- Increase the traffic to a specific website URL
- Perform an SEO audit
- Keep track of your social media performance
- Keep track of your visitor traffic
- Receive SEO advice on how to fix SEO problems
- Create high-quality backlinks to improve your ranking
- Get rid of toxic backlinks
SEO newbies and SEO experts use this software to get their businesses to the top of search engine results pages. There are free DIY SEO tools, and there are paid ones, as well. Most of them have a free trial, though.
Who Should Use DIY SEO Tools?
Ranking on search engine results pages is challenging, and if you don’t have help, you have almost no shot at getting to the top of the page, which is where the money is. Search engines, such as Google, constantly change their search engine algorithms (which determine the criteria for ranking website pages) based on current trends. What works for you today might not work for you tomorrow, so if you have anything from a one-page WordPress website you built with Microsoft Word to a massive multi-page site, you need an SEO strategy that includes the use of an SEO tool.
Stay On Top of Trends
Having DIY SEO software can help you stay on top of trends, inform you of when search engines change their algorithms, and keep you on top of search pages. Plus, all of these constant updates and changes can cost you a lot of time and money if you’re paying an agency to do your SEO marketing work for you.
Rank Higher Link building
DIY SEO tools and doing your own SEO make it simple for small businesses to get themselves ranked higher on SERPs without breaking the bank to do it. The name of the game is to get your domain authority as high as possible with enough SEO content on your web pages so that when someone inputs a search term you rank for, you’ll show up in the top ten.
Another key part of your SEO strategy that the SEO experts use is link building. Link building means you get other websites to link to your site and link to theirs. This is essential to increase your domain authority.
When someone types your keyword into their search bar, you want your website to rank in the top ten. When that happens, you will be considered an authority and command many visitors to your site.
You can use free or paid tools, but whatever you choose, ensure you get a DIY SEO tool to help you rank higher on search engine results pages.