The 7 Most Popular Podcast Platforms on the Internet: An Overview, Top Features, and Price (2022)
Podcast hosts have many options today as there are many podcast hosting companies to choose from: choose from one of these powerful podcast platforms on this list for your best chance at success.
Podcast listening has seen a surge in popularity in recent years. According to Edison Research, podcast consumption has tripled since 2013. This is likely due to the rise of smartphones and the increasing number of people using them.
In fact, it’s a great way to make money online, make a living at home, or if you are a beginner looking to make a few bucks.
As a business owner, it’s essential to understand the different podcast platforms available so you can choose the one that is best for your needs.
In this blog post, we will overview seven of the most popular podcast platforms on the internet. We will discuss their top features and the price for each platform.
But first, let’s get you up to date on what a podcast is and what to do with it once you’ve recorded it. Then, you can dive into which of the best podcast hosting platforms you want to use to record and edit your podcast.
What is a Podcast?
A podcast, as defined earlier, is a program made available in digital format for download over the internet. Podcasts can be audio-only or video-only, but most are audio-centric. They are similar to radio shows, except they are downloadable and can be consumed at a time of the listener’s choosing.
Podcasts are similar to radio shows, except they are either synchronously downloadable or streaming. Podcasts are spoken word audio episodes which usually focus on the subject. Video Streaming podcasts are still primarily audio-centric.
However, they provide a visual component to everything they are listening to. Recent podcast popularity has increased exponentially over the past decade. The ability to listen anywhere is something that everybody is seeking as an essential combination.
The Three Big Names in Podcast Playing Service Providers
Once you have recorded your podcasts, you’ll want to get them out to as many people as possible. Most people listen to podcasts on one of the three big platforms: Spotify, Apple, and Google. After using one of the hosting platforms to record and edit your podcasts, get them out for people to hear on one or more of the following podcast hosting providers.
Spotify is already a significant player in streaming music – and it was not surprising that after it reorganized its website for podcasters, it climbed second behind the Audible and iPlayer categories of iTunes. The media host Buzzprout reports that the podcasts now have more than 29% of total downloads. It’s logical. Many people also use this app for music and have used it for years.
Apple Podcasts / iTunes
Apple podcasts are a proprietary podcast-listening app developed by Apple Inc. The app lets users discover, stream, download, and rate podcasts. Its interface is highly navigable if you’re accustomed to Apple software.
Apple podcasts are a proprietary podcast-listening app created and developed by Apple Inc. The app is pre-installed on every iPhone and iPad and lets you discover, stream, download, and rate podcasts. Its interface is highly navigable if you’re accustomed to Apple software.
Google has been involved in podcast distribution for years. It’s also not the same as Google play music. It’s been criticized for being very basic. The fact that the app doesn’t appear on a mobile phone has frustrated some podcasters. Google’s decision is only suitable for monitoring, reviewing, and updating the app.
The Top 7 Most Popular Podcast Platforms to Use to Record Your Podcast
Podcasts have become incredibly popular in the last few years. Many people listen to them for entertainment, news, fun, comedy, advice, intrigue, and other reasons. That’s because there is no limit to the topics of podcasts (within reason, of course).
It’s no wonder that more and more people are deciding to start their podcasts. Whether for personal reasons or to boost a business venture, podcasts can be a potent tool to reach many people.
To start your own podcast, you don’t need to build a studio or rent space in one. With some simple audio equipment and one of the following podcast hosting platforms, you’ll be on your way to building a massive listener base.
Let’s dive into the best podcast hosting sites on the internet.
Buzzsprout is a podcast-hosting platform that has been in business since 2009. It is trusted by over 100,000 podcasters and offers helpful free learning material and powerful tools to make the most of your recorded podcasts.
Their excellent customer support makes Buzzsprout my top choice when creating a podcast. Their platform allows you to embed a podcast player on your website – and you can feature just one episode or a whole playlist.
They also offer an easy-to-use analytics dashboard with an algorithm that estimates your number of listeners. These analytics features are super helpful for determining the success of your podcast.
Buzzsprout is a podcast hosting platform that offers many great features to help you create, publish, and promote your podcast. Some of the top features include:
- Automatic episode optimization ensures that your episodes sound great and are easy to listen to.
- Dynamic content – This keeps your podcast fresh and exciting.
- Transcriptions – Transcriptions make your podcast more accessible for everyone.
- Advanced podcast statistics – This tracks your progress to see how well your podcast is doing.
- Podcast directories – Buzzsprout helps you get your podcast listed in all of the top podcast directories so that more people can find it.
- Free: upload 2 hours each month and episodes hosted for 90 days.
- $12 monthly: upload 3 hours each month, hosted indefinitely, unlimited storage.
- $18 monthly: the same features as above, plus uploading 6 hours each month.
- $24 monthly: the same features as above, plus 12 hours each month.
RSS.com is a podcast hosting platform that offers users unlimited storage and bandwidth, making it the perfect venue for more prominent podcasts. RSS.com also provides many tools, such as episode scheduling and social media integration, making it easy for users to manage their podcasts and engage with their audience.
Podcasters using RSS.com appreciate the platform’s ease of use, which enables them to get started quickly.
In addition, RSS.com’s powerful interface makes it easy for users to scale their podcast’s growth.
RSS.com is a podcast hosting platform that allows you to distribute your episodes automatically to multiple apps and directories. Some of the top features of RSS.com include:
- Automatic social media sharing and episode distribution-Episode scheduling
- Unlimited episode uploads
- Accommodates unlimited duration
- Automatic and guided distribution to the major podcast directories, including Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Google Podcasts
- Monetization options include sponsorship opportunities via Podcorn and a donate button on your free public podcast website
- $4.99 monthly plan for students and NGOs.
- $8.25 monthly for an all-in-one podcasting plan for small and medium enterprises.
- A custom plan is also available upon direct contact.
Podbean is a podcast hosting platform that offers a wide range of features aimed at helping podcasters create, promote, and monetize their content. Its massive subscriber base of 600,000 worldwide makes it a popular choice for podcasters of all experience levels.
Podbean provides live-streaming and podcast recording applications that work seamlessly to help you make the podcasts you want. There are no limits on how much you can download or record, and you also get a free podcast website to customize your brand’s unique style. Episodes are automatically shared to social media if integrated with the platform, making it easy to promote your podcast.
Podbean offers a wide range of features for podcasters, from dynamic ad insertion to Patreon integration. Here are some of the most notable features:
- Dynamic Ad Insertion: Podbean’s dynamic ad insertion feature allows podcasters to insert targeted ads into their podcast episodes. This ensures that sponsors’ messages reach the right audience and helps podcasters make more money from their content.
- Patreon Integration: Patreon is a platform that allows listeners to pledge recurring payments to support their favourite creators. Podbean integrates with Patreon, making it easy for podcasters to start accepting regular payments from their fans.
- Unlimited Storage: Podbean offers total storage space for podcasters on its paid plans. This ensures podcasters can store as many episodes as they want without worrying about running out of room.
- iOS and Android Mobile Apps: Podbean has both iOS and Android apps that allow listeners to listen to podcasts on the go. This makes it easy for listeners to access podcasts anytime, anywhere.
- Free and Paid Plans: Podbean offers both free and paid plans, giving podcasters the flexibility to choose the best option. The free plan includes 5 hours of storage space, while the paid plans offer unlimited storage space and a range of other features.
- Free Plan: 5 hours of storage space with 100 GB monthly bandwidth
- Unlimited Audio – $9 monthly: Unlimited storage space and bandwidth
- Unlimited Plus – $29 monthly: unlimited storage space and bandwidth, plus Patreon Program and dynamic ad insertion
- Business – $99 monthly: unlimited storage space and bandwidth, plus Patreon Program, multiple domains, private podcasts, and live chat support
Spreaker is a podcast hosting platform that allows users to create and share podcasts with listeners on the web and mobile apps. It is one of the most popular podcast platforms and offers a range of features for users of all levels of experience.
Advertisers can also easily integrate advertising into their podcasts on Spreaker, making it an excellent choice for those looking to make money from their content. The platform is easy to use and navigate, making it simple for creators to manage their podcasts and for listeners to find the content they’re looking for.
Spreaker is one of the most popular podcast-hosting platforms and offers a wide range of features for podcasters. Some of the top features include:
- Automatic distribution to major listening platforms
- Team management and collaboration features
- Enhanced private podcasting
- Customizable RSS feeds
- Ad campaign manager
- “Free Speech” is free for 5 hours of audio storage, up to 10 episodes.
- “On-Air Talent” is $8/month for 100 hours of storage.
- “Broadcaster” is $20/month for 500 hours of storage.
- “Anchorman” is $50/month for 1,500 hours of storage.
- “Anchorman” also has a $120 monthly option for Unlimited storage.
RedCircle is a podcast hosting platform that allows podcasters and publishers to connect and share content. It’s a great way to build an audience with easy-to-use tools. It’s a great way to build an audience with easy-to-use tools. You can also make money from your podcast by using the ad platform to sell subscriptions, receive donations, and do cross-promotions.
The RedCircle podcast hosting platform offers a variety of features that can help you grow your podcast and ensure its long-term success. These features include:
- A powerful all-in-one platform lets you host, distribute, and monetize your content.
- Accept one-time and recurring donations to keep your show going.
- Build subscription revenue to ensure long-term success.
- Cross-Promotion Marketplace lets you connect with other shows to grow your audience.
The pricing plans of the RedCircle podcast hosting platform are very straightforward. A core plan allows you to host and distribute podcasts unlimitedly and receive subscriptions, donations, and more. After that, there are two paid plans: the Growth Plan and the Pro Plan.
- The Growth Plan costs $9 per month (paid annually) and offers you a saving of up to $60 per year compared to monthly payments.
- The Pro Plan costs $30 per month (paid annually) and offers a saving of up to $200 per year compared to monthly payments.
- There are also monthly plans available if this is something you’d prefer.
- Finally, there’s a free 7-day trial on the paid plans.
SoundCloud is one of the most popular podcast-hosting platforms. It’s simple to use and has various features that make it a practical choice for podcasters. With 175 million unique monthly visitors and 12 hours of content uploaded daily, SoundCloud is a great way to reach a large audience.
Additionally, their embedded players, Twitter cards, and timed comments make it easy to share your podcast with others. And with a free account, you can upload up to 3 hours of content per month.
Some of the top features of the SoundCloud podcast hosting platform include unlimited upload time, the ability to schedule releases for your episodes easily, and multiple monetization options.
You have control over how your content is embedded on other websites, giving you a lot of flexibility in how you choose to share your podcast with the world.
Free to $16 monthly or $12 monthly when paid annually.
Podcast hosting is one of the primary services Simplecast provides. It is easy to create a podcast on their platform—all you need to provide is a title, description, and keywords for your podcast. Simplecast also offers transcription and show notes services.
Once your podcast is created, you can manage it using Simplecast’s tools. You can add new episodes, change your episode settings, and publish your podcast to iTunes and other directories. Simplecast also offers analytics so you can track your podcast’s performance.
Simplecast is a powerful podcast hosting platform that offers users a variety of features and tools to help them create, publish, and monetize their podcasts. Some of the top features of Simplecast include:
- One-click publishing: With Simplecast, you can publish your podcast with just a few clicks. This makes it easy to get your podcast online quickly and easily.
- Multiple embedded web players and podcast players: Simplecast provides users with numerous ways to embed their podcasts on their websites or blog. You can use the standard web player, the mini player, or the iTunes player. You can also use the Simplecast podcast player, which gives you more control over how your podcast is presented.
- A fully-functioning website: Simplecast provides users with a professional website to host their podcasts. The website includes all the tools you need to publish and promote your podcast and advanced analytics so you can track your audience and measure your success.
- Collaborate with multiple team members in one account: Simplecast allows you to collaborate with others in one account, making it easy to manage your podcasting projects.
- Unlimited storage and upload: Simplecast offers users unlimited storage and upload capacity, so you can upload as many episodes as you need.
- Free 14-day trial
- $15 monthly for the basic plan – 2 member accounts and 20k downloads per month
- $35 monthly for the essential plan – 2 extra user seats and 50k downloads per month
- $85 monthly for the growth plan – 5 more user seats (9 total) and 120k downloads
Podcast platforms are a great way to share your ideas, stories, and messages with the world. They offer a simple way to create and publish your podcast and provide tools to help you promote and monetize your show.
Podcast listeners have many options to find their favourite podcasts today. To be a successful podcast, you need good audio quality, podcasting software from one of the sites mentioned above, and for you to be an excellent podcast host!
While we can’t help you become a better host, we can help you become one of the most popular podcasts on air by pointing you to the right platforms. We’re like a mini-podcast directory!
There are a variety of podcast platforms available, each with its own set of features and prices. To help you decide which podcast platform is right, we’ve created a list of the seven most popular podcast platforms, including an overview of each one, their top features, and their price.
We hope this list has helped you narrow your choices and find the perfect podcast platform for your needs. Happy podcasting!